Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Death Knight T7 Set Bonuses

I got an email from a prominent guild leader asking for some insight on the T7 set bonuses for Death Knights. Seems that guild wants to consider the impact of them in making loot decisions. Needless to say, I thought that question would make great post fodder.

So are the set bonuses good enough to sway decisions on who gets what piece of loot? With all things WoW it depends.

DPS Set Bonuses

2 pieces: Increases the critical strike chance of your Obliterate and Scourge Strike abilities by 5%.
4 pieces: Your Obliterate and Scourge Strike generate an additional 10 Runic Power when used.

I personally like these bonuses. Then again I'm unholy and Scourge Strike is a major portion of my damage when I'm on DPS duty. Buff it's crit rate. MMMMMM. The 4 piece gives me more runic power for every use?! Now I can continue to spam Death Coils while my Gargoyle is up and my runes are down. Over the course of a 5 minute fight the extra RP can easily add up to another 200 DPS, for the entire fight!!!

Non Unholy specs will break down to those with the Annihilation talent and those without. Annihilation gets rid of the disease removal component of Obliterate which encourages its frequent use in damage rotations.

Without Annihilation, the DK should only be using Oblit right before their diseases expire and won't see quite as much benefit from these set bonuses as someone with Scourge Strike or Annihilation.


Tank Set Bonuses

2 pieces: Increases the critical strike chance of your Plague Strike by 10%.
4 pieces: Increases the duration of your Icebound Fortitude by 3 seconds.

WOOT!!!! 10% more Plague Strike Crit!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, If you really believe I'm that excited about the two piece set bonus for tanks please close this window because I'm obviously a moron. C'mon every DK tank I know specs into Epidemic just so they can wait 6 seconds longer before needing to use another Plague Strike. Unholy DKs will glyph their Scourge Strike in the hopes it will proc and not require another use of Plague Strike.

Why the PS hate? Simple, it doesn't do any real damage. If you're burning runes on PS for an extra attack you are gimping your damage. The ONLY REASON TO USE PLAGUE STRIKE IS TO APPLY DISEASE.

The additional threat generated by the two peice set bonus is so minimal any DPS class sneezing on their keyboard will out do it.

The four piece bonus does get me excited. Even with the 3.08 nerf to IceBound Fort, an extra three seconds of this oh shit button is golden. 25% longer damage mitigation. This is the difference between the tank surviving a boss enrage and dying at 1% and wiping the raid.

4T7 DK tank bonus is pure gold.

No comments:

Post a Comment