Friday, January 9, 2009

More Nerfs Incoming for 3.08

So I log on this morning and first thing I read is more nerfs are incoming.

I haven't been able to confirm the source but specifically two of them impact some of the talent decisions I made yesterday.

Gargoyle, we knew this was coming, but wow. It looks like its base damage is being hit for 25% which will take its DPS from ~ 1000 to ~750. I can live with that, don't like it but on the grand scheme of things shouldn't be more than 50 dps on a boss fight by itself.

But wait that's not all.

The duration on Gargoyle just got cut in half. Ouch! When you add this in, with the same cool down timer our boss DPS just took a 200 dps hit.

On the plus side Necrosis is getting buffed to do double the damage which may make it more desirable than Impurity. Pending testing on PTR and Live this may or may not be worth changing some talent points.

Anti-Magic Zone is also taking a hit. The up-time of the zone is getting reduced from 30 seconds to 10 seconds. On paper this looks huge, I'm not sure it will be in reality.

The reason I'm less concerned about this nerf is AMZ is typically limited by its damage absorption capability anyway. Pop this on Faerlina while she rain of fires when you have a lot of melee and you'll burn through the 15k-17k it soaks pretty fast.

All in all, if you are using my spec for tanking and dps I don't believe you will be hurt too bad as Gargoyle is primarily a DPS talent and should only be used in tanking when you have a massive threat lead since it's damage doesn't contribute to your TPS.

2 comments:

  1. I read somewhere else that Blizzard had eliminated the tanking 2 handers. Do you know if there's any truth to this? If there is, that would be a rather badly thought-out plan on Blizzard's part.

    Aside from the 2h weapon thing, there isn't a whole lot there that concerns me as a Frost tank, but some of it does seem painful for my Unholy brothers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have seen that as well. The link to GC's statement is here

    http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=13769837253

    Then again the forums are down at the moment.

    I'm not sure that it is a bad idea. I played a druid in BC and because of all the defense on Earthwarden and lack of defense on everything else, it was next to impossible to upgrade that mace.

    There are a lot of good DPS weapons out there that will give us lots of threat, strength, and stamina. We can maintain defense cap with out it.

    ReplyDelete