Saturday, January 3, 2009

Pugs, Specs, and other sundries

Just a few observations to get your day started.

Good groups do not guarantee success. My guilds Holy Pally and I pugged 3 dps to run Heroic Azjol for the daily. All three DPS knew what they were doing. Reasonably well geared, showed some dedication, everything you want in a pug.

We never made it to the first boss.

For those of you not familiar with the 3 pull sequence that leads to the first boss you get 3 packs of three mobs. And they put out tons of poison damage on everyone. Needless to say, Pallies aren't exactly know for their poison cleansing abilities, nor their AOE heals.

The DPS consisted of a Blood DK, Frost Mage, and Affliction Lock. No help there. To top it off, they were all in the 1500 dps range, which is generally fine in a well played group. After the first wipe, we said we'd give it one more try.

It was a good group and the only thing to do was not waste every one's time and money on repairs.

Specs, there was a rate the DK tank thread over on the official forums and I participated. I got high marks for my enchants and gems, but was called out on my spec. Specifically, the poster said I don't know whether you are trying to tank or DPS. He has a good point. I am trying to do both with one spec since I don't have the luxury of spending gold on 2-3 respecs daily. However, when dual specs become available I will convert to a full tank spec and a full DPS spec.

If the tank dies it's the healer's fault. If the healer dies it's the tank's fault. If DPS dies it's their own fault. In Heroic Nexus we had a pugged Lock. He died 4 times when everyone else stayed alive. Generally speaking, I believe an Unholy's AOE threat up to anything. This guy was consistently tossing 3000 TPS on all the mobs with his seeds of corruption going on each one.

Regardless of class, if you are DPS, take the threat reducing talents. Wait a second Scourge! You don't have subversion, isn't that the pot calling the kettle black.

Yes it is, but I stay away from my highest threat AOE attack when I'm not tanking. Plus in the event I do pull a mob I CAN tank it. Clothies, not so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment