Tuesday, February 24, 2009

Ask the Scourge Ghoul Edition

It's Tuesday, maintenance is going on, and it's time for Ask the Scourge.

I received an e-mail from Randul the Dwarf over at http://wheresmedrink.wordpress.com/

1. When dpsing, how should one treat their ghoul, especially as unholy? Should we treat them like hunter pets and do everything we can to keep them up or should we just let them drop and consider their dps additional?

2. What is the proper usage for army of dead? When should it be used and under what circumstances?

Currently I would say for Unholy DK's that have Night of the Dead, let your Ghoul die. Don't waste the RP on a death coil to heal it, just summon another. That said, if you have the perm ghoul you should try to keep one up at all times. They add as much as 400 dps to your efforts. Granted that's not the 2,000 BRK gets out of his pet but it's still a large hit to lose.

If the talent changes for 3.1 go through as they now stand it becomes more important to keep your ghoul alive and not let it die mid fight. MMO Champion is reporting NotD reduces raise dead cooldown by 90 seconds. Master of Ghouls drops it another 60 seconds. This means you will have 30 seconds without a ghoul should you sacrifice it or it dies on its own. That's approximately 10,000 less damage on a boss fight to let him die. Therefore use a DC to heal the bugger.

As for Army of the Dead, the taunt does not affect Raid bosses, but it does heroic bosses. However, their taunt does affect adds in raids. Therefore, you should not be using it in heroics unless it is a last ditch effort to stave off a wipe. There are exceptions to this and the first one that comes to mind is the tribunal event in Halls of Stone.

In raids I have to give credit to Bloodmourne's post at Elitst Jerks for the details but the gist is, use it when there are no issues with adds for a sweet DPS increase. I like to pop mine on Maxenna right when she enrages. That's a good time on Patchwerk as well.

Have any other questions please let me know. If they are about 3.1 I'll give my opinion but at this point everything is in flux and the QQ has definately commenced on the forums.

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for answering my questions and linking my blog. My hits shot up thanks to that link. One of these days I'll hit double digit readership!

    One thing I need to do is respec into Night of the Dead. I didn't really see the need for it until my ghoul started getting tore up by aoe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do skills and glyphs which buff perma-ghouls (i.e. Glyph of the Ghoul) also affect the ghouls which spawn from Army of the Dead?

    ReplyDelete