Sunday, February 22, 2009

DK Trinket Review

So I've decided to review trinkets based on the types of queries people are finding my sight with. To date there is not a lot out there on the subject and I know whatever I post will generate some disagreement and hopefully some discussion.

As usual, I will compare tank trinkets separate from DPS trinkets and I will list my top 10 as found on WowHead. I will provide some qualitative insight into my rankings. I've done my best to account for On Use and Proc abilities in setting my weights but I haven't done extensive theory crafting on them, especially the procs.

Tank Trinkets

For Tanking I've weighted Stamina and Defense highest with defense taking priority. Hit, Strength, Expertise, and Dodge are also highly rated but not as much as Stam and Def. Armor also gets a factor in this. For On Use effects I adjusted the value according to its maximum up time. Procs, I tried to see if I could get a sense of up time from the comments. Needless to say, some of these make the list on the basis of their mitigation while other make it based on threat.

Here are my Top 10 Tanking Trinkets. You can mouse over them for their details.
1. Repelling Charge - Thaddius Naxx 10
2. Essence of Gossamer - Hadronax Heroic AN
3. Figurine: Monarch Crab - Jewelcrafting 400
4. Indestructible Alchemist Stone - Alchemy 400
5. Darkmoon Card Greatness - Nobles Deck
6. Bandit's Insignia - Sapphiron Heroic Naxx
7 Defender's Code - Heroic Naxx
8. Grim Toll - Heroic Naxx
9. Seal of the Pantheon - Loken HoL Reg
10. Valor Medal of the First War - Emblem of Heroism vendor


DPS Trinkets

For DPS I rated Hit the highest followed closely by STR and AP. Crit, Armor Pen, and Haste are included as well. Once again I tried to account for on use and proc effects.

Here are my Top 10 DPS
1. Fury of the Five Flights -Heroic Sartharion
2. Darkmoon Card: Greatness - Nobles Deck
3. Mirror of Truth - Emblem of Heroism vendor
4. Bandit's Insignia - Sapphiron Heroic Naxx
5. Incisor Fragment - King Dred Heroic Drak'Tharon
6. Mighty Alchemist's Stone - Alchemy 400
7. Grim Toll - Heroic Naxx
8. Figurine Emerald Boar - Jewelcrafting 400
9. Sphere of Red Dragon's Blood - Keristrasza Heroic Nexus
10. Loatheb's Shadow - Loatheb Naxx 10

I'm sure some of you have different opinions so let's hear them. All I ask is that you be kind to each other if the debates heat up.

5 comments:

  1. How are you gonna put Emerald Boar trinket in top 10 DPS but not put Monarch Crab or Ruby Hare in tanking slots? Monarch crab, esp w/ the 1min CD, as a JC, is better than Essence of Gossamer if you gem it properly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, Mirror of Truth over Darkmoon Card: Greatness for dps? WTH? Darkmoon Card: Greatness is considered by many to be #1, at least in contention with FotFF, because of how slow FotFF stacks as a 2h spec (obviously FotFF is good for DW). But, minimum, Greatness should be above bandit's insignia, because with proper use of the proc, it represents a ridiculous dps increase.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @ Anon 1,

    Simple I missed the Crab in my 48 trinkets I looked at.

    @ Anon 2,

    Greatness procs 300 Str which equates to > 600 AP. Even with scaling that is less than the 1,000 AP that Mirror has.

    Everything I've seen so far Mirror has a higher proc rate than greatness.

    I've moved it up a couple slots but until I can get hard numbers on up time I just can't justify putting it in the top 3.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mirror of truth = AP
    Greatness = STR
    We have abilities/talents that increase STR by a %. So that persistant 90 STR and the 300 STR proc is actually much more. This combined with the fact that when its not on ICD it will be up almost instantly (33% proc chance off of dmg OR heals... think blood presence), means that 15 seconds of every minute its up.

    Only FotFF rivals this for DPS, and this could still be situationally better if you time your cooldowns with its proc.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dont forget with Ulduar 10 there is the pyrite infuser.

    ReplyDelete