Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Following the herd

out the door.

When Phaelia left to have a baby it didn't really phase me since I never followed Resto4Life.

Yesterday BRK pulled the plug.

Today it is my turn.

To be honest it's something I've contemplated. I like to claim I'm pragmatic and can be happy with 95% of the benefit for 50% of the effort. But when it comes down to it, I'm not satisfied. Never have been, never will.

I launched this blog for two reasons, one I wanted to give blogging a spin, and two, at the time I couldn't find any good DK blogs. If you look at my link list on the right you will find plenty of good blogs.

The reality is, to achieve my blogging goals I need to put in more than 50% of the effort. That is time I can not afford to commit. For the past two years WoW has dominated my nights once my son goes to bed. I've given up more sleep than I care to admit. I've done what I could to minimize the impact on my personal and professional life, but I know I haven't eliminated it.

In the year prior to taking up WoW I read the following books:

Cowboy Capitalism: European Myths, American Reality
Guns, Germs, and Steel: The Fates of Human Societies
Intelligence, Genes, and Success: Scientists Respond to The Bell Curve
The End of Poverty: Economic Possibilities for Our Time
Fooled by Randomness: The Hidden Role of Chance in Life and in the Markets
The Purchase of Intimacy
The New Direct Marketing: How to Implement A Profit-Driven Database Marketing Strategy
How to Lie With Statistics
Making Great Decisions in Business and Life
Innumeracy: Mathematical Illiteracy and Its Consequences
Personal Financial Planning
The Nine Nations of North America

Since I started WoW I haven't read a single one. I personally believe I am not as interesting as I once was.

Before WoW I was a part time college professor in addition to my day job. I haven't taught in two years. Though to be honest I don't think I will take that up again anytime soon. Student demands for grade distortion, cheating, lack of willingness to study or do homework frustrated me to no end. There were exceptions of course.

I've put on 15 pounds while my bike gathers dust.

So there I was deluding myself I could have it all. After all BRK was a middle aged professional like myself. He had a wife and kids like myself. He was more successful at raiding than I ever was. He was more successful at blogging than I ever was, or likely ever would be. What I didn't see was how much he was sacrificing at home until he admitted to it yesterday.

Truth is, I don't want to be BRK, or even like him. I want to be the same guy my wife fell in love with 13 years ago, only a little older. That will still include computer games, just not ones with persistent worlds where I fear if I'm not online I'm missing something. They will be the kind where I can hit save and walk away and don't rely on 24 other people to achieve my in game goals.

To those of you who know me IRL, we'll keep in touch. To everyone else I've met in this fascinating game, I wish you the best of luck in achieving what you want out of life. It's a rough world out there and I hope I have added a little enjoyment to y'all as I know I have received my share of enjoyment from you.

Cheers,

13 comments:

  1. Man, it is navel gazing city time in the WoW blogging community, ain't it?

    Well, I'll be disappointed to lose the best consistent Death Knight blogger I've yet seen, but it sounds like you have your reasons. Good luck out there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take care and best of luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i've reallly enjoyed reading your blog that i came across as soon as Death Knights became available to us. Me being a WoW player since the 4th day of retail (about 4.5 yrs) i too am feeling the wanderlust. take care with your life and thanks for the reads!

    ReplyDelete
  4. it sucks to hear this news but then again RL > WoW

    your articles have been a great read for me i'd say and you will truly be missed :(

    take care all the best in all you do! =)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Snif. I must admit I will miss the reading of your blog. But I can understand quite easily, being a father and a husband also.

    WOW takes a lot of our time and I had to make a deal with my wife in order that it does not kill our couple (basically I can play three days of the week). The effect on my side was that I had to give up rerolls.

    Perhaps you will change your mind and come back (I had this kind of non-wow period during 6 months).

    Anyway. All the best for you and your family ! IRL first as we always say.

    Goodbye and good luck from Belgium.

    ReplyDelete
  6. nooo! It's been a blast reading your blog--sorry to hear the news but it's probably for the best.

    Family>WOW.

    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'll miss your insight and willingness to engage in some healthy debate.

    Godspeed, to you and yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you for everything, and all the best for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I was hoping to see you posted this on April 1st. Very sorry to see you go but wish you only the best down whichever path your life leads. Thank you for having provided my favorite Death Knight blog :)
    Good luck to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Best of luck mate

    ReplyDelete
  11. Also was hoping this was a april fools thing. Your one of the other DK blogs I frequent, especially since you're more of a tank guy as opposed to my dps. You've also been kind enough to link me :-) GL to you.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Best of luck, and thank you for your posts on Death Knights. Real life is more important. :D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi i feel you man. The WoW has bad design model in the way that you need to sacrifice big blocks of time to it. For a employed grown up person that means he is sacrificing it to something else, usually real life thing and more important. I usually play and then quit for a few months then come back. So my advice if you really want to quit. Cancel subscription, uninstall it, remove every trace of it from your PC. (pictures, movies, bookmars) It is really the only way. If you leave even one mark of WoW left on your PC, you will return. Trust me, I tried. GL IRL

    ReplyDelete